Our Code of Conduct and how to contact us, if you require support
The Hotsy Totsys have chosen to adopt the Safety in Swing Dance. Code of Conduct
STEPS Code – Safety, Trust, Engagement, Prevention, Support
(Safety in Swing Dance and the ‘STEPS’ code take strides to be there for anyone in need!)
We believe that the Lindy Hop and Authentic Jazz world is already welcoming, supportive (and fun!) and that instances of inappropriate behaviour are rare. Our Code of Conduct is designed to acknowledge that we all have a responsibility to contribute to the well being of the whole community and to build safety into events. We love to dance, and we want you to love it too. The code was made for partnered Lindy Hop in mind, but The Hotsy Totsys believe in the spirit of it and that it can be used for Authentic Jazz events as well.
Safety People are available for discussion and reassurance, not just formal reports – please do tell us about your concerns, even small ones – we’re here for you!
Guidelines for Being Good People
The following good people guidelines apply to EVERYONE attending a STEPS Code event, including members of staff, volunteers and visiting teachers:
1. We will be NICE to everyone and treat all people with respect. We will not harass anyone. We will not discriminate according to sex, gender expression or sexual orientation, nor race, religion, or nationality. We will treat everyone equally, regardless of age, ability, physical appearance, lifestyle, dance experience or dance role.
2. We will be INCLUSIVE and be part of the Hotsy Totsy group both in spirit and action.
3. We will be RESPONSIBLE for our own physical safety and that of others nearby. We will practice safe floor-craft and say sorry if we accidentally bump another person. We will not offer unsolicited advice or instruction, nor perform acrobatics on the social floor. If we consume alcohol we will do so responsibly, and if we are drunk enough to pose a risk to ourselves or others, we will leave the dance floor and retire to the bar.
4. We will take CARE of our own personal hygiene, and bring towels, spare clothing and extra deodorant if necessary. We will be considerate when choosing our clothing, footwear, and accessories and not we will not wear anything that is potentially hazardous to ourselves or to others.
5. We will be RESPECTFUL and acknowledge that the personal boundaries of others may not be the same as our own. We will be mindful of the appropriateness of language that some may find offensive. We will not touch anyone without consent and we will apologise immediately if we unintentionally touch a person’s private areas.
6. We UNDERSTAND that following the above guidelines ensures a better experience for everyone and that participating in any kind of verbal, physical or sexual abuse will have consequences. This may include, but is not limited to, being asked to leave without refund and exclusion from future events.
7. We, the organisers, PROMISE to treat any reports made, from dancers in our home scenes or elsewhere, with sensitivity and to keep all details as confidential as is possible (however, in the event of a police investigation, all information will become disclosable).
*We encourage anyone who has experienced or witnessed intimidating or inappropriate behaviour to tell an organiser.
At The Hotsy Totsys your suggested points of contact are Taina – kortelainen(dot)taina(at)gmail(dot)com) or Paula – paulahardykangelos(at)mail (dot)com. If you prefer to talk in person you are welcome to do so at any time, or would prefer to speak to another Safety Contact, please use the contacts on the Safety in Swing Dance list
Safety in Swing Dance organisers and teachers will happily provide support to anyone experiencing problematic behaviours in the Swing dance scene, not just our own dancers and students, see the entire Safety in Swing Dance website for more details.